Hello everybody! I eat pasta a lot, no surprise there, but I recently remembered that I have never shared my absolute favorite pasta sauce. I am not joking when I say that I am eating this two times a week, on average.. This sauce is rich, easy and packed with veggies.
What you’ll need:
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup of chopped spinach
- 0.5 a cup of mushrooms
- 0.5 a cup of finely minced soy chunks (optional)
- Vegan parmesan, or nutritional yeast (optional)
- 3 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 0.25 a cup of veggie broth
- 3 tablespoons of chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon of oregano
- 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons of chopped basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Your paste of choice
ALSO CHECK OUT: Potato-Based Cheesy Ravioli (I know, wtf, but hear me out)
ALSO CHECK OUT: Vegan ‘Cheesy’ Pasta Recipes
- Finely chop the onion and the garlic and add them to a pan along with *plenty* of olive oil, on medium heat. Let the onions brown for a few minutes.
- Add the finely chopped spinach, finely chopped mushrooms and parsley, along with the optional soy chunks, let the ingredients combine on medium heat for another few minutes.
- Add your tomato paste, veggie broth and canned chopped tomatoes and stir together.
- To add a bit of creaminess to the sauce, shred in some vegan cheese, and for more umami, add some nutritional yeast
- Now add your remaining herbs: basil, oregano, and shred in your nutmeg as well.
- In another pot, salt your pasta water and bring it to a boil. When the water is boiling add in your pasta and cook it until al dente.
- Pour the pasta water from your pasta, but add 0.25 cups of the pasta water to your sauce and keep it cooking for 5-7 minutes on low heat.
- For the best result, turn over your pasta in your sauce shortly before serving.
ALSO CHECK OUT: vegan gourmet pt 1 // pasta roses and carrot puree
ALSO CHECK OUT: smooth lentil pasta (you can’t taste the health)